Norovirus Cases Found in Kerala, India

HEALTHCARE

Two cases of norovirus, a gastrointestinal zoonotic disease that is passed from infected individuals who have already been infected, were reported on Monday in the southern state of Kerala in India. The virus was found to have infected two Class 1 and 2 students at a school in Kakkanad, according to reports.

Two cases were found, and 62 school students and a few parents experienced similar symptoms. Two samples were sent to the State Public Laboratory for testing.

The children’s health status is stable. The school, which is currently closed for repairs, was inspected by employees of the Health Department. We are providing parents and children with online awareness sessions. The District Medical Officer stated that the restrooms and classrooms have now been cleaned.

This norovirus outbreak has been reported by the state twice. At Vizhinjam in Thiruvananthapuram last year, the same virus was found in two children. The norovirus is a viral infection that causes acute onset diarrhoea and vomiting and is the most common cause of acute gastroenteritis worldwide, according to the World Health Organization.

See also  US Government Found Highly Dangerous Bird Flu in Chickens of Tyson Foods

The virus is highly contagious and can spread through surfaces, tainted food, and contaminated water. The state health department says that head and body aches, vomiting, and diarrhea are the first signs. The virus can cause severe abdominal illness in young children, the elderly, and people with other medical conditions, despite its typically mild effects on healthy individuals.

In June of last year, the Alappuzha district recorded the first case in Kerala. Around 950 norovirus-related cases were reported in the same area and adjacent areas in 2021. One and a half months were consumed by the outbreak.